On Road Training

Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)

What is a CBT?

Compulsory basic training (CBT) was introduced to help reduce the very high accident rate among inexperienced motorcyclists. A CBT must be completed before a learner moped or motorcycle rider is allowed to ride on the road with L-plates.

Upon successful completion of this you’ll be allowed to drive up to a 125cc motorcycle for 2 years, on L plates. You can either stick with this and redo it every two years, ride a 125cc motorcycle or scooter for a while to gain some extra experience, or go directly onto the Direct Access from here.

Who needs a CBT?

  • 16 year olds can only ride up to 50cc bikes.
  • 17 year olds and over can only ride up to 125cc bikes.
  • 16 year olds must have a Provisional Licence and have Category P on their Licence to ride a moped.
  • 17 years or over who are going to ride a 125cc bike on a Provisional Licence, must have ‘Category A’ on their licence.¬†Please check this entitlement and give the dates from/ to for the ‘category A’ when making a booking.
  • Full car licence holders are entitled to ride up to a 50cc bike without undertaking CBT and don’t have to display L plates. If they are going to ride anything over 50cc, they must have a have a current CBT certificate.


What do i need to bring?

  • Whatever the weather, you must wear the correct clothing on the day:
  • You need to wear long trousers (jeans are fine)
  • Sturdy footwear (strong shoes or boots)
  • We supply helmets, jackets, gloves and waterproof over-trousers if you do not already have your own.¬†Waterproof clothing is strongly recommended, as your course will continue if it rains or not
  • If you normally wear glasses or contact lenses. You will need to bring them to read a registration plate at a minimum distance of 66 ft (20 metres)
  • You will need to bring BOTH parts of your UK licence (card and paper). If you have an old style licence, you will need to bring a valid passport. The document must be original, as photocopies are not accepted.

If using your own machine:

  • MOT certificate (For models over 3 years old)
  • Certificate of insurance
  • L Plates
  • Sufficient fuel for the day’s training


What if i fail the CBT?

If, for some reason, you do not reach the basic standard, you will be asked to return at a convenient time to complete the road ride *Additional charges may apply

Please note: we do not issue certificates if we do not think you will be safe out on the road.